Thursday, March 11, 2010

good food

I have been doing quite a bit of experimenting with food. I'm gluten, dairy, soy, caffeine and meat free so eating new and exciting food that is balanced, healthy and good has been quite a journey. I'd love to share some of my own creations and some I've borrowed from others with you. The problem with sharing 'recipes' for me is that I do not always have exact measurements or directions. Many of the dishes we eat evolve from the 'a bit of this and a bit of that' mentality. I'm currently very addicted to avocados. A quick and easy salad involves sliced avocados & sliced tomatoes, olive oil drizzled on top with sea salt and pepper. (that was borrowed from a friend) Guacamole is where it's at. I combine the avocados (mushed well), with finely sliced onions (only a small amount--so it's not overpowering) and a clove of garlic finely sliced. Add some chopped tomatoes and the key ingredient...fresh juice of a lime (about a half of lime per avocado) and you have a great dip that tastes good and is also raw (which is so good for you). Last night I went a bit crazy because we had a friend over who is also vegan and gluten free. Along with a fresh hummus option, I layered a dip with homemade plum salsa, re fried beans, and guacamole with some fresh green onions and olives on top. (this dip was stolen from a friend who brought it to our recent 'girls' night/movie night'...she added a layer of vegan sour cream...but that has soy so I excluded it). Use healthy organic corn chips and you have a great meal...veggies, fruit and protein.

1 comment: